skippi wrote:
Howdy. I am trying to install 9.1 on a brand new MoBo. It's a Intel D865GBF.
Info is here: http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bf/

The install process seems to go just fine, until the very end. When I reboot, I get my Win98 start up menu. GRUB is not installing. On top of that, I made 3 floppies to do an install from the hard drive. None of them will boot. I get kernel panics. I made 2 boot disk during the install, nieither of them will boot. I tried booting from the CD and executing 'rescue' however it mounts my mdk 7.2 file system on hdb6. The 9.1 is on hdb7. So that is no good. Assuming that 9.1 is actually installed... how can I get to the file system to try installing GRUB?

Also, can someone plase post a GRUB /boot/grub/menu.lst entry to boot a 9.1 system so I know what it should look like? That would be very helpful. Thanks much. Adrian

What you can do is boot the rescue and choose command line. From there, you can mount the install you wish by hand. [1]

mkdir /mnt/disk
mount /dev/hdb7 /mnt/disk
chroot /mnt/disk

You should now get a prompt from / of your install. If you have other partitions you need to mount, do so, for example:

mount /usr

Try to see if the installer created /boot/grub/menu.lst for you

ls /boot
less /boot/grub/menu.lst

If the menu is there, and looks OK, and you have /boot/grub/install.sh, all that might need doing is to run the install script:

sh /boot/grub/install.sh

You can back out of the chroot when you are done:

umount /usr  (if necessary)
exit
umount /mnt/disk
ctrl-alt-del to reboot

Here is part of my grub but the installer might make kernel commands for your board that are different from mine. You could also look at /etc/lilo.conf, if you don't have menu.lst, for some reason. The commands might have been put there in the append="" statement.

timeout 7
color black/cyan yellow/cyan
i18n (hd3,7)/boot/grub/messages
keytable (hd3,7)/boot/us.klt
default 9

title linux
kernel (hd3,7)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdg8 devfs=mount noapic hdc=ide-scsi vga=788
initrd (hd3,7)/boot/initrd.img

title linux-nonfb
kernel (hd3,7)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdg8 devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi
initrd (hd3,7)/boot/initrd.img

title failsafe
kernel (hd3,7)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdg8 failsafe devfs=nomount hdc=ide-scsi
initrd (hd3,7)/boot/initrd.img

title windows
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

I just remembered there is also an option to reinstall the bootloader after typing F1. The thing with the bootfloppies is, probably, because the kernel has become too big/there is not enough room for the initrd.img. That has been a problem for a lot of people.

Rolf

[1] http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/admin/index.html#er