On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 10:11, Norman Zhang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running software RAID on 9.0. I would like ask what's the best way of
> setting the swap partition? I currently have two swap partitions of
> identical (not mirrored) setup on both drives. I heard mirroring swap is
> waste of time.
>
> Regards,
> Norman

you heard right. Best set up is this:

X = total RAM * 2, rounded up to the nearest gig

DISK1:
        Partition 1 of size X/3
        Partition 2 = remaining capacity
DISK2:
        Partition 1 of size X/3
        Partition 2 = remaining capacity
DISK3:
        Partition 1 of size X/3
        Partition 2 = remaining capacity

The mirrored partitions need to be the same size, so if the disks aren't
exactly the same size, adjust accordingly and add the extra space to a
swap partition.

RAID set up is then to mirror across disk1-partition2 and
disk2-partition2, then mount the resulting /dev/mda1 as /u01 or
something else unlikely. Symlink the stuff you want to keep into /u01
(like /home/, /usr/local/, /var/, /etc/).

Then install the OS into disk3-partition2. That way you don't have to
deal with any difficulties with trying to boot from a multi-disk array
(all work-aroundable, but the workarounds violate the KISS policy).
Restoring the OS and patching it to current isn't going to take more
than an hour.

Do not use the slave positions on IDE busses for any of these disks.
--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...