On Sunday 12 October 2003 09:55 pm, Rob Blomquist wrote:
> Yesterday, I went out and innocently bought an 80Gb drive for a little
server
> I was planning on rebuilding.
>
> So I swapped the components from the P-166 into the AMD-K6/2-450 box
(FIC
> VIA-503+ mobo), connected up the drives, and booted into problems.
>
> Finally, I was able to have the BIOS detect it as a 8.4Gb disk, but no
bigger.
> The 3rd drive in this box is a 15Gb that is detected and runs great.
>
> I have been reading "Mark Minasi's 2003 PC Upgrade and Maintenence
Guide" and
> he talks about the addressing problems in the IDE/ATA BIOS space. Then
he
> goes on to talking about how autotranslation works to circumvent the
BIOS and
> allow bigger drives to run by the OS detecting the drive itself, and
handling
> the addressing without BIOS support . MInasi says that autotranslation
is
> part of some UNIXes.
>
> Basically, I am wondering if Linux supports autotranslation, as when I
was
> able to run this disk as 8.4 Gb, the kernel was able to report the
disk model
> number back during boot. I am now wondering if Linux supports
> autotranslation, so that if I set up the BIOS correctly, the drive
could be
> detected and run?

I believe the answer is yes, that the Linux kernel will be able to
address the entire drive.  You can test this simply by trying it
though, I don't think you have anything to lose.
--
/g

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, inside
a dog it's too dark to read" -Groucho Marx