On Thursday 16 October 2003 11:48 pm, James Sparenberg wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 15:01, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> > On Thursday October 16 2003 01:03 pm, Ricardo (Tru64 User) wrote:
> > > www.phatlinux.com runs linux on a windoze partition,
> > > even on windoze XP/NTFS. Catch? It aint
> > > freee.....nominal fee however.
> >
> >     That was my first look at Mandrake (6.0). Then phatlinux was
> > free. IIRC a 170mb zip file, expanded to about 500mb in a Windoze
> > fat32 directory, C:\Mandrake. I was dual bootin Red Hat and
> > Winblows at the time. I played around with phat for a short time,
> > liked KDE, so I got 'real' Mandrake CD's and replaced RH ;)
>
> Didn't MDK at one time have a product that did linux on windows?  If
> I remember right it was slower than honey during an Alaskan winter.

Yeah, I believe it was called lin4win or something like that.  It is how
I installed 7.2 for the first time and was my first experience with
Linux.  It installed Linux in a loopback filesystem, so from Windows,
you just saw one big file that was your Linux install, and no
partitioning was necessary.

--
/g

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, inside
a dog it's too dark to read" -Groucho Marx