Bryan Phinney mused:

> Msec level 4 denies everything by default.  Therefore, you must
> explicitly
> allow the things that you want to allow in the hosts.allow file.
> This will
> override the hosts.deny file so that anything that is not allowed
> is denied.
>
> I had the same problem with my web server, once you understand
> that the
> default behavior is to deny, it makes perfect sense.

Yeah, that makes sense.  I was reading different posts on HOW to
allow things though, and trying to find which way would stick
which was confusing.  I put ŽAll: AllŽ in my allow file just so I
can make it work and I found a sample allow file on the web that
IŽm going to play with when I get home from work today.  Since
youŽre running a web server, would you mind posting a copy of
yours?  (/etc/hosts.allow file, that is).
IŽve got kind of an Žall-in-oneŽ type of server - I donŽt really
have the resources to split things up.  IŽm running apache,
webmail (postfix, squirrelmail, etc), samba, ftp, ssh, blah; just
pretty much everything - on the same box.  It would be nice to
setup a firewall (other than port fowarding on my router), get
msec all hardened up, and make everything all secure - but I think
I have too many things going to do that.  Anyway, all suggestions
excepted :)

Thanks

--
Michael Holt