On Friday 24 October 2003 09:38 am, Glenn Burkhardt wrote:
> On Friday 24 October 2003 09:19 am, Avi Schwartz wrote:
> > James Conner wrote:
> > > On Friday 24 October 2003 02:10 am, James Sparenberg wrote:
> > >
> > > I agree, I was being sarcastic.  I just installed MDK 9.2 on a friends
> > > system, I'll do it on mine after I back everything up.  Everything went
> > > peachy, only lost the menu's once.  That bug/feature was fixed with
> > > these patches.  Seems quite nice.  Now we just got to install all of
> > > plf's stuff and contribs, plus configure a few apps.
> >
> > I don't think the disappearing menu 'feature' was fixed since I lost my
> > menu couple of times on two different machines since applying the
> > patches.
> >
> > Avi
>
> What exactly is the "disappearing menu 'feature' "??  Thanks.

There is a bug in the version of rpm that shipped with 9.2 that causes the rpm
database to remain locked for a longer period of time.  This causes a problem
for a postinstall script within a package that tries to update the menus.
Because the database is locked, the postinstall script cannot retrieve the
package names from the database, so the menu is not populated with any
entries.

This is easily fixed by the user by running the update-menus script from a
console as root user.

# update-menus -v
--
/g

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, inside
a dog it's too dark to read" -Groucho Marx