A lot of answers were written, you might want to go through the mail
archives. My strong, nay, vehement suggestion at this point is to format
that box's disk drives and start over, then ask specific questions.

Portsentry is good. It is also non-free in the OSI sense since Psionic's
purchase by Cisco, IIRC.

Shorewall is a sight easier than editing iptables directly, but the
people who can't handle it generally seem to like gshield. I've also
used Monmotha in the past and liked it, does it work with iptables?
Anyway, to grok shorewall you should read its docs. Here's some guiding
principles:

first, set up interfaces. There is at least one, which is the exterior
ethernet. localhost not required here.
second, set up zones. A zone is a network which is connected to an
interface. There are at least two zones, one for localhost and one for
the Internet. Change the Mandrake names to something you understand.
third, set up policy (deny everything between Internet and localhost).
fourth, set up rules (allow SMTP from Internet to localhost).

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...