On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 13:57, John Aldrich wrote:
> I'm thinking of switching to Mandrake from RedHat 9 since RedHat is
> effectively discontinuing the full-fledged "hobbyist" version of RedHat and
> splitting the userbase between "Fedora" for those of us who don't have
> several hundred dollars for "enterprise" linux and those who have the money
> and need for "Enterprise" linux.

welcome. A list etiquette thing on this list is to not set reply-to --
see http://www.monkeynoodle.org/comp/rely-to.

> My question is, how well would the switch go? I typically keep my home
> directory on it's own partition and another partition with some MP3s and
> other miscellaneous data. I typically blow everything else away and reformat.
> One thing I liked about RedHat was that when I did this, it would recognize
> how my system was partitioned and offer to re-use the old partitions. Will
> Mandrake do this for me? I'm on RedHat 9.0 right now with ext3 file systems
> throughout.

yes. You should write down which partition is which if you can't
recognize them by size, as diskdrake will just show you the partitions
and ask where you want to mount them.

> I have used Mandrake before, but the last time I think I used it was back
> around Mandrake 5 or 6, before they made it so difficult to get ISOs of the
> distro. I basically liked it then, but there were a few "advanced" features I
> wasn't so thrilled with, but I'm looking at giving it another shot.
>       Thanks...
>       John

I think you'll be pleasantly suprised at the growth that's happened
since then. There are some newbie-unfriendly rough edges in Mandrake,
but overall it's an ideal power-user's desktop or server.
--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...