On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 7:28 AM, Akira Li <4kir4...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Benoit Caron <ben...@notezbien.net> writes:
>> It seemed very natural for me to put this in contrib.project, but is
>> this the right place?
>>
>> Should Fabric have a special way to "glue" 3rd-party recipes? Or am I
>> just shy of putting stuff into the "real" thing? ;)
>>
> Installation as a separate module might be preferable in some cases:
>
>  $ easy_install yourpackage
>
> And then in fabfile:
>
>  from fabric import snapshot_project
>
> It requires fabric to use `pkg_resources.iter_entry_points()` or similar
> and `yourpackage` to define entry point in its ``setup.py``:
>
>  setup(...
>      entry_points="""
>      [fabric.command]
>      snapshot_project = yourpackage.mod:Command
>      """)

My particular patch is not really invasive and make sense to be put
alongside rsync_project, put_project or other variation (btw, being in
a "project" namespace, could they be called simply rsync, put, etc, as
in project.put, project.rsync, etc.? ).

But I think that having a pre-declared namespace for 3rd party
extention and some easy-to-use glue like you suggest would be a really
good idea for Fabric "promotion".

The cleanest and easiest it is to publish "recipes", the more there
will be, and the more recipes there is, the more Fabric is usefull...
and used.

Benoit