Hi Jonathan,

Generally, there's no way to do this yet. I'm making progress on
adding the ability to send your local stdin down the pipe, thus
allowing users to interact with arbitrary password prompts like the
one in question. However, that's not in yet, nor will it be coming to
the 0.9.x branch. (But 1.0 shouldn't be too far off at this point in
time, so there's that.)

Specifically, depending on your host's config, you may be able to
create a $HOME/.my.cnf file with the username and password you need to
connect to MySQL; I believe that will act as de facto authentication
for any MySQL binaries, though I'm not sure. (I know it works for
'mysql', at least.)

Don't recall offhand where in the MySQL docs they mention that
particular feature, but I'm sure it's there somewhere :)

Best,
Jeff

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Jonathan Livni
<jonathan.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I need Fabric to pass an arbitrary string to the remote shell due to a
> user-prompt.
> Specifically I need to give the password to mysqldump command and my web
> hosting site does not allow the --password=[password] flag
> Only answer I could find on the web is "use pexpect", which isn't a good
> answer...
> Thanks
>   Jonathan

Jeff Forcier