Any reason slices are not allowed to be passed to regexp words like
"first-match" ?
I tried modifiying the word:
: check-string ( string -- string )
    ! Make this configurable
    !  dup string? [ "String required" throw ] unless ;
    dup dup string?
    swap regexp? or [ "String required" throw ] unless ;

but doing a
> refresh-all
doesn't change anything, running
> 0 4 "foo " <slice> R/ foo/ first-match
still throws error " string required "

For the curious, I am working on an optimized / space efficient version of
the re-pair semi-static dictionary compression algorithm (
http://www.cbrc.jp/~rwan/en/restore.html) .
I have it working in autohotkey, trying to port it to factor to see if I
get any performance gains, and just for fun / learn factor.