As suggested by John, I test out the following action to
get the total file sizes of a disk volume.

0 "a_path_to_big_folder" [ link-info dup symbolic-link? [ drop ] [ size>> +
] if  ] each-file

Our big-folder is on a netapp server shared by tens of people. Many small
files get updated
every minutes if not seconds. The update may involve removing the file
first.
It has many many subfolders which in turn have more subfolders.
Each subfolder may have hundreds of files (occasionally in the thousands).

After a few day's discussion with factor guru's, I understand that
each-file traverses the directory structure by first putting
entries of a folder in a sequence. And it processes each entry one by one.
Although this may not cause using big chunk of memory at a time,
it does have the following issue..

------------------------

Last night, I left the command running and came back this morning to find
that it failed with the message.
lstat:  "a path to a file" does not exist !!!

This is because after 'each-file' puts the file into the sequence and then
when
it is its turn to be processed, it is not there at the time!!
Without error trapping, the above "0 ... each-file"  could not work in our
case.

So, I guess I would need to do error-trapping on the word link-info.
I do not know how to do it.  Any hint ?

Thanks
HP