> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
<snip>
> > > And possibly it's the "jumping off" itself that acts as the
> > > catalyst for realization, rather than what it is the student
> > > is jumping off *of*.
> >
> > But maybe what the student has jumped off of has
> > something to do with the jumping-off being able to
> > trigger the realization.
> >
> > > That is, if one analyzes the hundreds of stories of seekers
> > > who had their first serious realization shortly after walking
> > > away from a long-term spiritual trip, the process may have
> > > more to do with the "walking away" than it does with what
> > > has been walked away from.
> >
> > You'd probably have to do a much larger analysis
> > of seekers who left a trip to see what *percentage*
> > of them then had realizations compared to the
> > percentage who left a *different* trip and then had
> > realizations.  If the percentages of realizations
> > after leaving various trips were roughly the same,
> > that would be evidence for your case.  If one or
> > more trips had significantly higher percentages,
> > then you'd want to think about giving some credit to
> > those specific trips themselves.
>
> If all you believe in is "objective evidence," by all
> means do your study.

Non sequitur.  Did I say somewhere that all I
believed in was objective evidence?

> I was merely stating opinion,
> based on nothing more than watching trends in
> spiritual organizations for a lifetime (at least).

Non sequitur.

"Watching trends in spiritual organizations"
and "analyzing the stories of hundreds of seekers"
are both objective approaches in which you evaluated
evidence and then derived a conclusion from that
evaluation.  In other words, you did a study.

I'm pointing out that to make it a *solid*
conclusion, you have to take the same kind of
analysis a bit further.  The study you did
wasn't thorough enough to support your
conclusion.

> I'm still convinced that the process of challenging
> one's assumptions and core beliefs can have some-
> thing to do with "triggering" further realizations.

I never said that wasn't the case.  What I said
was that if you found leaving some trips more
often triggered realization than did leaving other
trips, you'd want to think about giving some
credit to the trips themselves, in terms of what
they provided by way of preparation.

The propositions aren't mutually exclusive, you see.