--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Richard J. Williams"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Duveyoung wrote:
> > I was tipping my hat to the fact that despite not
> > knowing about mitochondria, the Jews came up with
> > a system that recognizes the mother's role in
> > "owning offspring."  It's cool that they intuited
> > it, and came up with a "rule" about it.
> >
> Great, but there's still no "Jewish" mitochondria.
> Judaism is a social religion, not a separate race
> of humans. That was my point.

It isn't a "race," but it is a "tribe." It's "social"
in the sense that it can incorporate new members, but
the genetic component is very important; the descendants
of converts are considered genetically Jewish. Plus
which, matrilineal descendants of Jews never *stop*
being Jewish, halakhically speaking, even if they
convert to another religion.

On the other hand, "The womb can't lie" (or "It's a
wise child that knows its own father") is more than
sufficient explanation for the matrilineal descent
system; there's no reason to suspect intuition,
however inchoate, of mitochondria was involved. It's
really just simple observation. If you want to be
absolutely certain og the genetic inheritance, you
have to go by motherhood.

  • ... authfriend
    • ... Samadhi Is Much Closer Than You Think -- Really! -- It's A No-Brainer. Who'd've Thunk It?
      • ... lurkernomore20002000
      • ... TurquoiseB
      • ... TurquoiseB