--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> On Behalf Of authfriend
> Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2007 5:29 PM
> To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Deepak Chopra and Mike Myers on
Sundance

40yahoogroups.com"FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com,
> "curtisdeltablues"
> <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
> <snip>
> > He talks about how he self-published his first book and rode on
> > a bike taking it to bookstores. What, no Purusha minions banging
> > on doors for free? No mention.
>
> FWIW, that was for his second and later books.
> His first book was self-published (and looked
> it) and self-distributed.
>
> > He mentions as his relationship with George Harrison but no MMY
> > whose ideas he quotes verbatim in numerous parts "flexibility is
> > the basis of immortality". What a rip off artist.
>
> Again FWIW, the TMO asked him *not* to mention
> MMY in his teaching after he left the movement.
> You describe his truncated TM-like instruction;
> the movement didn't and doesn't want that kind
> of thing--distortions of what MMY teaches--
> associated with TM and MMY.
>
> So Chopra was "relieved" of the obligation to
> credit MMY with anything he, Chopra, teaches.
> And he's certainly taken full advantage of it.
> But you can see the TMO's perspective; they'd
> rather eschew the credit and preserve the
> "purity of the teaching."
>
> I don't know anything for a fact, but I think Judy's theory might
be close
> to the truth. I knew Deepak pretty well, having taught his intro TM
course
> and having lived with his parents for two months during the Vedic
Science
> course in New Delhi, later taking off from my Vedic Atom in Chicago
to visit
> my wife-to-be (who snuck off from Mother Divine) at his house in
> Massachusetts. As he related in one of his early books, he was
reluctant to
> get involved in the TMO at first, out of attachment to his
successful career
> as an endocrinologist. But Maharishi drew him in, buttered him up,
and made
> him a star. He didn't write any books until he was involved in the
TMO, and
> from the start, his books were promoted by Purusha. There were some
very
> sharp PR guys on Purusha, some of whom are still professional PR
guys, and
> they used every trick in the book to make his early books best-
sellers,
> including buying up large quantities of them at the right time.
>
> Once Deepak reached the inner circle of the TMO, I think things
began to get
> strange for him. He was a creative thinker and liked to take an
amalgam of
> MMY's ideas and thoughts from his Indian heritage to generate new
theories,
> which he would bounce off MMY. I think MMY enjoyed brainstorming
with him,
> but I think he felt a bit nervous, because Deepak was pretty
charismatic,
> very independent in his thinking, and obviously had the potential
to become
> a guru of sorts in his own right. Some people began to regard him
that way
> even when he was in the movement. Reportedly, Bevan was always on
his case
> for being loose with the purity of the teaching. Also reportedly,
Deepak
> couldn't stomach the intense competition for Maharishi's attention,
and the
> games played in the inner circle.
>
> He was probably the highest paid person in the TMO, but I think he
began to
> see the potential to make a lot more money on his own. MMY began to
give him
> orders he didn't want to follow, such as relinquishing his US
citizenship or
> green card or whatever he had to run for Prime Minister of India on
the
> Natural Law Party. There was also some account on some TM-ex site,
which is
> probably accurate, of MMY having accused him of trying to usurp his
> authority. Another rumor is that MMY offered to make him his
successor.

> In any case, I think it became clear to Deepak that he didn't
really fit in
> anymore, and that a lucrative and exciting future awaited him as a
free
> agent. I'm pretty sure that he and the TMO did work out a legal
agreement
> after he left. I heard that his books were edited to exclude
references to
> TM stuff, and the TMO, which had praised him to the skies prior to
his
> departure, spoke and acted as though he had never been a part of it.

All this must be a great field of interest to you Mr. Archer. Anyway,
did you know of the fauled attempt on his life because of his
threatening Big Business and that he did not want to stand as a NLP
candidate because of that ? Apparently Maharishis respond
was "Someone who do not want to be a candidate (for NLP) is not a
part of our family." (no direct quoute) Anyone working for the
movement should just laugh at any attempt on your life, not just run
away. The Movement is not for cowards...