From: feste37 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 10:06:44 AM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] for Angela, WAS Re: Facing one's mortality

            Angela, I was struck by some echoes of Hamlet in this quotation from

Guru Dev. Hamlet is all about learning how to die (I think we agree),

and Guru Dev's "He who remains ready to go, from him there will never

be sin," reminds me of Hamlet's "the readiness is all" speech in Act

5. And also, in the next paragraph, Guru Dev's point is very close to

Claudius' advice to Hamlet about not continuing to grieve for his

father ("your father lost a father / That father lost, lost his . . . ")

--- In FairfieldLife@ yahoogroups. com, "do.rflex" <[EMAIL PROTECTED] .> wrote:

> GURU DEV:

> Every day be ready, bedding packed.

> Nobody knows what time the "warrant" comes. Death "warrant" is the

> arrest "warrant" - for you there is no scope for "appeal", all at once

> it occurs ... you are to leave.

> Wherever one is, at that very place you will be falling down. If you

> are ready in the first place, then there will be no suffering at the

> time of death.

> He who remains ready to go, from him there will never be sin. Really

> it is by overlooking the [existence of the] other world that one

> becomes wicked and lives sinfully. If all this is remembered every day

> that one day one is going to let go [die], then henceforth a man will

> never lie or behave badly.

> Consider this; that when father, grandfather, great grandfather is not

> living then it cannot be that we will remain. When it is settled that

> we will go, then really if we are ready beforehand, then the traveling

> will be a pleasure; but if one is not ready then afterwards you will

> be suffering. Be careful of doing any work that you regret afterwards,

> at the time of going.

> If you are not careful then you cannot escape falling down. The stream

> of worldly existence takes a downward direction. The inclination of

> the senses is opposed to a man and in opposition one again falls into

> the wheel of desires, not considering the suitability. Therefore it is

> always necessary to be careful.

> At the time of death that which was good and bad in a man's own

> lifetime all come to be remembered. That sin that has been done

> remains, the fearful effects are remembered at the time of death -

> much repenting and much sadness occurs. Therefore you should be

> careful that no sin occurs to be regretted at the time of death.

> ~~  Shri Shankaracharya UpadeshAmrita kaNa 23 of 108

> http://www.paulmaso n.info/gurudev/ UA_Hindi. htm#kaNa_ 23

<!--

#ygrp-mkp{
#ygrp-mkp hr{
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
#ygrp-mkp #hd{
#ygrp-mkp #ads{
margin-bottom:10px;}
#ygrp-mkp .ad{
padding:0 0;}
#ygrp-mkp .ad a{
color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
-->

<!--

#ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
font-family:Arial;}
#ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
#ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
-->

<!--

#ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial, helvetica, clean,
sans-serif;}
#ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
#ygrp-text{
font-family:Georgia;