Judy, you accurately describe the attitude that I, as an intiator, tried to
project to initiates who did not kneel when cued to do so.  You also accurately
characterize your initiation setting as being religious (or religiously
ambiguous),  "If the teacher was religious, that was OK with me, but I had no
intention of joining his religion, if that's what it was."

TM is religion based, just religion derived.  You can practice the meditation
without the religion, but under the federal Constitution, the meditation
instruction is unquestionably a religious ceremony.  I cannot imagine the TMO
overcoming the legal challenges that will be made against teaching the
meditation (which requires the specific form of instruction utilizing the puja)
in public schools.

It's not even a close call IMO.

**