Robbery is defined pretty much the same throughout the U.S., the taking from
the person of another by force or fear.  By definition it's a violent crime.
In California it is one of many enumerated serious and violent crimes; crimes
that are strikes.

The Department of Justice crimes statistics list only rape, robbery, aggravated
and simple assault, and homicide as "violent crimes".

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/viort.htm

**