Extreme cold (down to -45 °F) prolly saved Finland during
the Winter War (Talvi-sota) 1939/40...

Frozen Soviet soldiers:

http://www.sodatkuvina.cjb.net/images/Talvisota/Rintama/391214KaatuneitaNeuvostosotilaita.jpg

Defence of Finland

[edit]Weather conditions

Major Soviet operations during the winter of 1939–1940The winter of 1939–1940
was exceptionally cold. One location on the Karelian Isthmus experienced a
record low temperature of −43 °C (−45 °F) on 16 January 1940.[84]
At the beginning of the war, only those Finnish soldiers who

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_war