From: authfriend <jst...@panix.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2011 2:31 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Siddha Medicine , Navapashanam & Healing

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Denise Evans <dmevans365@...> wrote:

> I still fail to understand what is it about TM that is so
> special that it cannot be divulged without payment. If the
> TMO is trying to change the world and they are truly sincere
> in this, why is it all a big secret? Why is the "technique"
> so secret? Why isn't it in a book? Or is it?

These are incredibly frustrating questions to try to
answer for a TMer, because the bottom line is, you
can't grasp why it's a "secret" until you learn it
yourself (and not everyone does even then). And of
course that sounds like total B.S. The problem is
that unlikely as it seems, it's true.

The nature of TM is such that it can't be learned
properly from a book. There have been a couple of
books (not by TM teachers) that purported to explain
how it's done, but you'd be *extremely* unlikely to
pick it up correctly from words on a page. (I'm
talking about the *method* here, not the mantras;
the mantras are a whole 'nother issue.)

> Why has no one breached the secrecy? Who the fuck are all
> of you super secret special meditators that you are keeping
> this big elephant in the living room a secret? Protecting
> your investment? How self-centered is this?

Ah, come on, Denise, that's not fair. We all wish
everyone could learn it for free. Most of us realize
learning it properly requires a trained teacher,
though, and that trying to explain how it's done
outside the context of standard TM instruction by a
trained teacher is not likely to lead to proper
practice.

I'm making it sound as if TM is *difficult*, but in
fact it's just the opposite; it's easier than you
can imagine. And paradoxically, that's why learning
it requires someone who has been trained to teach
it, because they know how to lead you into the
experience of effortlessness. Every other skill we
learn requires some degree of effort, so the knack
of letting go of all effort is novel and takes a
novel approach to convey.

As ridiculously easy as TM is, it's also easy to fall
into making it more difficult than it is, and then
you don't get the benefits. Unlike most other things
in life, the less you know about the method before
you learn it, the more likely the instruction is to
"click" right from the start.

In a very real sense, by declining to try to explain
TM, we're protecting *your* investment should you ever
decide to learn it from a trained TM teacher.

> Why wouldn't the TMO release the secret, or for that
> matter, anyone who has the secret, and really test the
> hypothesis that they can change the world? It reeks of
> BS.

There really is no specific "secret" that could be
"released," first of all. If there's a "secret," it's
the whole method of instruction, and that requires
training.

Second, most of us here, at least, think the TMO could
have done a more effective job of getting people to
practice TM. But that's a different issue.

I don't expect this to convince you. All I can say is
that I stand behind what I just wrote 100 percent.