Hi Barry,
Thanks for posting this.  Dare I say, very interesting (-:

In the unhealed parts of myself, I recognize the tendency to project onto
others.  Childhood issues, etc.  And as one teacher said, to the extent we
project our negative stuff onto others, to that extent we'll project our
positive aspects also.

I think a good teacher is aware of this and has skills for dealing with it in a
healthy way.  In fact, this is a great skill for anyone to have especially if
they are in an intimate partnership (perfect opportunity for projection), or in
a close friendship.

Or even if they're all alone.  There's a fun story about a sanyasi in a cave
with only a loin cloth and begging bowl in his possession.  After a few months,
his bowl starts to look less and less wonderful.  Until one day he throws it
against the wall saying, "You just don't understand me!"

The point is again, we're always projecting our inner world out onto the outer
world even if our outer world is sparse.  It's comes with the territory of
being human.  If we've got unhealed childhood stuff, it's gonna keep coming up
for healing.

It could be that as a species we've moved beyond the teacher disciple
relationship.  Or maybe it's a cultural difference.  In any case, I've heard
that Francis Lucille also uses the word friend to describe himself.

Anyway, I'm happy for you that you met such a wonderful group of people.  Any
chance any of them would join us here?  That would be very cool.

One question about them:  how are conflicts handled?  I've noticed in my own
relationships that it's all hunky dory until it's not.  The acid test for any
relationship IMHO is how do they get along when they're notgetting along?
Share