If this is what you meant as "my point" –

Lawson sez:

  And again: noticing something, however subtle, even the first
glimmering of awareness of awareness, is no longer pure consciousness.

  Empty Bill sez:

Theny ou do not understand what the witness actually is.

However,if you are referring to a point that is different, then please
restate you point.

Lawson also sez:

  There are two different comments I have heard on this topic that apply,
at least
for me:

1. there is no end to how subtle the mantra can become.

2. the thought OF the mantra is still the mantra.

Empty Bill sez:

  1.    There is indeed an end to the subtlety of the mantra.

  According to Patanjali, the scale of subtlety terminatesin the
"a-linga" – the quality of unmarked, non-differentiation (YS
1.45). Thus,whether an object is a physical quanta or a subjective
thought, pradhana/prakritiis the final field of subtlety.

  Empty Bill further sez about your claim that -

  2.     The thought OF the mantra is NOT the mantra.

If your statement were true then simply the thought
"mantra"would equally qualify as the mantra. A "thought
of" or "thought about" the mantra is simply a thought –
that is all. The actual meditation bija-mantra is that human speech
sound pronounced by the initiating teacher. Any thought that is
either"of" or "about" the bija-mantra, is a relational
remembrance – a signal to return to the mantra but is not the mantra
itself.