People wonder why administrators who practice the tm-sidhi program for
40 years are so unkind and uncaring. Look no farther than the how the
first three sutra-s are practiced - three reps of three ideas ... that
is all.

Although engaged with during tm-sanyama, the three sutra-s are initial
ideas. Their possible results? According to MMY some feelings of
"warmth". But why should only three repetitions of such introductory
feelings produce a significant, lasting change in someone?

MMY used to analogize every method other than tm/tm-sidhi as just
another "cart and bullock" practice.

As a counter-point, here is a condensed and succinct example of the main
method used in the traditions of Patanjali Yogasutra-s and Gautama
Buddha's eight-fold path. Once you get a feel for it, you will
understand why these Abodes of Brahma (Brahma Viharas) are considered
essential for actualizing and realizing awakened liberation.

……………………….

The Four Brahma Viharas

A guided meditation by Ven. Ayya Khema

Think of the four brahma viharas, the four supreme emotions,
loving-kindness, compassion, sympathetic joy (joy with others), and
equanimity. And see them, as the Buddha explained them, as the only
emotions worth having. Nothing else has any real place in our hearts.
And think your heart as yearning to be filled with love and compassion,
with joy with others, and equanimity. See your heart as yearning for
that and then fill it with those emotions. The warmth of love. The care
of compassion. The generosity of joy with others. And the peacefulness
of equanimity. Fill your heart to the brim.

And now spread the love and compassion, and the joy with others, and the
equanimity through this room. So that there is the warmth and the care,
the generosity and the peacefulness of it all through this room, so that
everyone can partake of it.

And now let these four emotions, with their warmth and their caring,
their generosity and their peacefulness emanate from your heart and
reach out to the people who are close to you, so that they can have part
of it, without expecting that you can get the same back.

Now let all your friends partake of the beautiful emanation from your
heart. Loving and compassionate. Caring and peaceful.

Now reach out to other people you know. Neighbors. People you might work
with. Those you meet in everyday life. Let the heart full of
loving-kindness and compassion reach out to all these people that you
can think of.

Now think anyone towards whom you have some negative feeling in your
ordinary life, and don't change your heart now. Allow it to retain love
and compassion, joy with others, and equanimity and let those same
emotions reach out to that
difficult person.

Now feel your heart emanating the beautiful rays of love and compassion,
the warmth and the caring, the giving and peacefulness and let these
rays go out into the world and touch people's hearts near and far.
Think of people around here and then go further afield. Letting these
beautiful rays and emanations from your heart go to as many hearts as
you can find.

And put your attention back on yourself and feel the warmth of
loving-kindness and the peacefulness of giving permeate you, fill you
and surround you. The warmth in the heart brings joy and the
peacefulness that surrounds you brings a feeling of security.

May beings everywhere love each other.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Share Long <sharelong60@...>
wrote:

> Dear Seek,  I agree that TMers are not necessarily more evolved or
knowledgeable or calmer in turmoil or overall better humans than
others.  However I also want to bring up an experience that has
puzzled me for years.  It came up when, for emotional healing, I got
involved with non TM groups.  BTW, both groups contained ex TMers as
well as long term practicing TMers and non TMers.  To me, the non
TMers in general just did not feel natural, which is not exactly the
best word but comes closest.  Maybe unstraining is a better way to
say it.  Some subtle energy of settledness missing.  Again, I'm
fumbling for words and thinking out loud here.  But wanted to
mention to get your feedback. Â Â

> I also notice that a lot of people are familiar with New Age ideas and
even wisdom.  But much of that sounds more like common sense to
me.  Which is very good on that level.  Or New Age knowledge
often puts the cart before the horse.  My favorite example is
Eckhart Tolle and his teaching to be in the Now.  It's my experience
that being in the Now is a result rather than a path.  It's also my
experience that the Now contains both past and future so no need to
avoid them.  Anyway, I'm ever grateful to Maharishi for his teaching
on consciousness and its unfolding.

> At this point, I have not gone deeply into Buddhist or Taoist
wisdom.  But what I have encountered nourishes my spirit.  I'm
simply grateful for all the wisdom and practical help that is available
these days.  And that it's my dharma to explore.
> Share      Â
>

> ________________________________

quality of consciousness and a major step towards evolution.  But this
doesn't mean that every person who meditates is automatically more
knowledgeable on spiritual topics than everyone else, nor does it mean
they are further advanced through this cycle of birth and death just
because of a technique learned in one lifetime.

> For example, Michael Phelps could stop swimming for the next 5 years,
and you and I could swim every day for the next 5 years.  He would still
be faster 5 years from now.  In the same way you and I can't make up for
all his mileage in just 5 years, meditators & Siddhas aren't necessarily
going to make up for a lack of development for their last few lifetimes
(or dozens/hundreds of lifetimes....however many there are).

> I'm not putting TM/TMSP down, i'm just saying that 'some' TMer's tend
to assume they are ahead of everyone else out there who isn't practicing
or hasn't learned TM.  Moreover, TM is not the 'only' way of
experiencing transcendence (although it does seem a lot easier, IMO).
For example, i've met a lot of people in my life who don't meditate that
seem a lot more calm and relaxed in the midst of turmoil than any
meditators I know.  How is that?  My only explanation is that
transcendance is not a quality of consciousness only experienced by
practice of TM.

> This isn't just an issue with meditation either.  It's everywhere.
People sign up for a course, graduate from some class, attend a seminar,
etc.... and all of a sudden they automatically assume they're more
developed than anyone who hasn't signed up for that course.  This could
be anything, spiritual or material in nature.

> seekliberation
>
> > Dear Liberation Seeker;
> > Yes, so the science says so; that transcendence is the way of
evolution.
> > For many good reasons that even the science is showing now that
> >  everyone should meditate, take time out and meditate.
> > Yes, Transcendence is the way of any good meditation.
> > According to TM research too.  (There'll be time for scientific
reconciliation with the buddhists later).

> > Now then, bliss also as sat-chit-ananda on the other hand as
experienced in the subtle of the heart which other meditational
techniques like http://www.vedicvibration.com/   and
http://www.mumpress.com/other-items-of-interest/mvhp.html
> > Even for the awakened there is more work to do.
> > But certainly for the seeker.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > -Buck
> >
> > > After leaving Fairfield and being exposed to some other teachings,
i've begun to assume we might not be as enlightened or as far through
this cycle of birth and death that we seem to assume we are.  I admit I
could be wrong, but that is my perception nonetheless.

> > > Perhaps my fatalistic and pessimistic views towards America and
the world in general would give some the impression that i'm no longer
meditating, or never did in the first place.  So I guess one question
would be how could you know or tell whether someone on FFL is or isn't a
meditator unless they declare if they are or aren't?

> > > Besides, sometimes when we get wrapped up in our theoretical
paradigms we never get the chance to test our theories where the rubber
meets the road.  We often times just sit in our little world accusing
everyone else of being so stupid for not understanding our perfect
perceptions or theories.  Therefore, I think it is helpful to have the
perceptions posted from someone who isn't a dedicated meditator.
Sometimes it's irritating sometimes, but at the same time can help
balance out perceptions and give a reality check to some people whose
heads are in the clouds.