Daisy Cutter bombs and similar conventional ordinance can strike just as hard
as tactical nukes without worrying about fallout, physical or political or
moral or whatever.

 He's either an ignorant ass, or trying to make controversial statements to
sell his book (see the "ass" in first part of sentence).

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <curtisdeltablues@...> wrote :

 --In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <LEnglish5@...> wrote :

 Harris advocates a first strike against Iran?

 That's not controversialy, that's insane.

 When you interview him, be sure to change the name of batgap forum for that
episode.

C: Your very funny comment on changing the name of Batgap, I am assuming to
batshit aside...

this is a slanderous misread of Harris' position by journalists which he
clarifies here:

http://www.samharris.org/site/full_text/response-to-controversy2
http://www.samharris.org/site/full_text/response-to-controversy2

The basic upshot is that he was painting a hypothetical combination of a
society that glorifies suicidal actions against infidels combined with long
range nuclear capability and the fact that we do have nuclear weapons that we
would use if we believed we were in imminent danger.

"Needless to say, this would be an unthinkable crime—as it would kill tens of
millions of innocent civilians in a single day—but it may be the only course of
action available to us, given what Islamists believe." Harris
http://www.samharris.org/site/full_text/response-to-controversy2#sthash.G6o2BhSt.dpuf
 What will we do if an Islamist regime, which grows dewy-eyed at the mere
mention of paradise, ever acquires long-range nuclear weaponry? If history is
any guide, we will not be sure about where the offending warheads are or what
their state of readiness is, and so we will be unable to rely on targeted,
conventional weapons to destroy them. In such a situation, the only thing
likely to ensure our survival may be a nuclear first strike of our own.
Needless to say, this would be an unthinkable crime—as it would kill tens of
millions of innocent civilians in a single day—but it may be the only course of
action available to us, given what Islamists believe. How would such an
unconscionable act of self-defense be perceived by the rest of the Muslim
world? It would likely be seen as the first incursion of a genocidal crusade.
The horrible irony here is that seeing could make it so: this very perception
could plunge us into a state of hot war with any Muslim state that had the
capacity to pose a nuclear threat of its own. All of this is perfectly insane,
of course: I have just described a plausible scenario in which much of the
world’s population could be annihilated on account of religious ideas that
belong on the same shelf with Batman, the philosopher’s stone, and unicorns.
That it would be a horrible absurdity for so many of us to die for the sake of
myth does not mean, however, that it could not happen. - See more at:
http://www.samharris.org/site/full_text/response-to-controversy2#sthash.G6o2BhSt.dpuf

http://www.samharris.org/site/full_text/response-to-controversy2#sthash.G6o2BhSt.dpuf

He is not for it, he is against it. He believes the beliefs in Islam might
cause it so he is against those beliefs.