On 12/9/2014 11:52 AM, curtisdeltablues wrote:

It seems to me that the same issues you brought up about verifying such claims pertain to the question of how could a human know such a thing in the first place? Most traditions that propose such theories seem to resort to: God wrote this book to account for how a human could get this kind of detailed mechanism that is not within our experience.

The Buddhist /Consciousness Only/ (vijnanavada) tradition of Asanga and Vasuandhu (the so-called second Buddha) is not based on a book that "God" wrote - it is based on an experiential and logical basis. First, we need to examine the valid means of knowledge (epistemology is the investigation of what distinguishes justified belief from opinion) and decide whether some forms of knowing are valid or not. So, let's review the valid means of knowledge again, since Curtis apparently missed out on the previous discussion. What are the valid means of knowledge?

1. /Sense perception and analogy/
2. /Verbal knowledge/
3. /Inference/

Most of what we know we experience with sense perception, mainly with our eyes and our ears, and sometime through touch and taste, but mostly our eyes and ears. We see that gravity sucks and that things fall down. We know things from hearing teachers and through reading texts - the verbal knowledge. And through observation with know things through inference. And, we obseve that the material world has an order - not from an apple tree do we get a turnip. We all have a constructed character of knowing - we all agree that tables are tables and doors are doors and most of us experience the same things. So, from this order we infer that there must be some kinds of laws that govern the universe. If there is order, we infer that there is intelligence - that knowledge is structured in consciousness.

Are we agreed so far? Everyone experiences the world mostly with their senses. But the physical world contains numerous contradictions. Are some senses more reliable than others?

Through observation of the world over time we take notes with our senses: we see a flower; watch an event; hear a sound or a voice and from our sense impressions we deduce and analyze. But, sometimes the sense do NOT perceive the world exactly as it is. When sense perceptions do not agree, or are contradictory and conflicting, which sense should we accept as true? How do we decide between conflicting senses? If appearances derived through one sensory channel appear contradictory, it is natural to appeal to other senses for corroboration.

According to Vasubandhu, consciousness is the ultimate reality - without it people would not be conscious - there would be no perception. This is a dirt simple fact of life requiring no further proof. No sane person would claim that they don't exist, unless they were insane or demented - it's just not rational. We are conscious of ourselves enough to know that we exist and are self-conscious. We are our self and hardly anyone denies that they are sometimes self conscious.

/"Pure consciousness is the only Reality. By its nature, it is Self-luminous." (XIII, 13). "Thus shaking off duality, he directly perceives the Absolute which is the unity underlying phenomena (dharmadatu)."/ (VI, 7) Sharma, p. 112-113

So for me the focus shifts from the theory itself to what is the reasoning process behind differentiating books from mythology to a book we could have confidence was guided or directly dictated by a God to explain how the world actually works. Most people don't need a detailed argument about Greek mythological gods today, although in their time they were propitiated with sacrifices and ceremonies like the Vedic gods. Somehow this Vedic tradition has slipped through the cracks for some people and treated as if they are different type of books that humans wrote or passed down orally in verses, from those we commonly identify as mythological literature.

Can you describe how you make such a distinction if you do?

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <seerdope@...> wrote :

It appears that at least some who seek or feel that they are have realized an enlightened state --- and talk and walk within the broad framework of vedic / hindu / yogic / buddhist / tantric traditions, have very limited understanding of the types and range of karma within those traditions(1) resulting in odd pronouncements and claims, as well as a glaring absence of understanding of what realization and liberation actually mean within the traditions in which they practice. At times further obfuscated by their critics' lack of such.

The lack of understanding of the distinctions between prarabdha and sanchita karma is an example. To me, that presents a large red flag -- regardless of whether I accept the theories of karma, reincarnation, realization, liberation, etc. That is, if a person has consistently practiced methods with these traditions, uses the vernacular of these traditions to describe their experiences, and use criteria from these traditions to claim various attainments -- then, for me, it is highly inconsistent and strong warning signal if their understanding, words, experiences, self-appraisals of their actions and its effects indicate little to no conceptual and experiential understanding of the distinct types of karmas -- which is perhaps the most fundamental core factor which affects any realization or liberation within these traditions.

I can appreciate these inconsistencies and act accordingly (2) without myself necessarily accepting the theories of karma, reincarnation, liberation, etc.). That is I hold them as hypotheses which, while having some explanatory power, are not particularly suited to repeated large scale double-blind placebo based studies. Nor are a lot of other things in life -- so one muddles along as best they can. Over my life, I have observed a number of interesting points of possible supporting evidence. All of which I realize may be spurious correlations and worthless. On the other hand, these have at least kept the door open on my rational, skeptical mind to the possible validity of these traditional knowledge theories.

From these traditions' view ("traditionally") if one is incarnate, everyone, including fully realized, liberated ones. all still have prarabdha(3) karma that must be lived out. No way around it. Further, every incarnate being is generating kriyamana karma (karma generated in this life) to the last breath. And kriyamana karma has or will have its full effect, regardless of one’s state, realized/liberated or not. Bad Kriyamana karma

will have corresponding effects. There is no free lunch, no freebies, no license to act badly. Kriyamana karma may return quickly, or later in this life, or simply add to the large stockpile of sanchita karma yet to be taken on in prarabdhic chunks in future lives. However, with various practices, when identity with tightly bound sense of individuality lessens or ceases, returning karma may be experienced more as a drop in a bucket than a torrential rainstorm.

Traditionally, burning off ones karma has nothing to do with this life, that is one does not burn off prarabdha and kriyamana karmas. It is sanchita karma, the underlying, hidden from view karma that is burned off (or seeds in causal body "roasted") -- the mountain of karma yet to be resolved 1) in future lives, and or 2) through effective practices in this or future incarnations.

(Old MMY story -- MMY: "you all have a mountain of karma". Charlie Lutes: (apparently assuming he was far ahead of the pack): "M. do I have a mountain of karma left?". MMY: "No Charlie. You have more like a huge mountain range of karma left.")

A lot of practices such as those that promise and look towards "support of nature" and focus on success in worldly life as distinct signs of spiritual progress, as well as practices such as sponsoring yagyas, etc. are focussed on reducing the intensity of this current life (prarabdha and kriyamana) karmas. Not a bad thing in itself. However, it is possible one can pursue such practices and feel better, life becomes more successful, obstacles are removed, etc -- without materially affecting sanchita karma, and thus not affecting ones progress towards realization and liberation.

And such practices can expand ones identity, loosen the shackles of the mind and apparently provide a sense of freedom -- which may be confused with real liberation --- without much affecting the remaining range of sanchita karma and the need to keep coming back to resolve such past karma.

Traditionally, liberation / realization is not obtained until sanchita karma is fully burned / resolved / roasted. Thus if someone claims liberation (within vedic / hindu / yogic / buddhist framework of practices, descriptions, vocabulary, etc) but has no clue about sanchita karma, caution may be prudent.

(1) And while there are variations of understandings the key points regarding karma seem fairly consistent

across the considerable number of sects and paths across these multiple traditions.

(2) as in my quip "Run Forest Run" -- a line I liked in (what I I believe was) a prior Curtis post (lets call it an homage instead of plagiarism).

*//*

(3) Traditionally the intensity of some types of prarabdha and kriyamana karma can be reduced through various practices but generally not eliminated.