Yoga in India begins with Shakya the Muni, the Buddha, circa 463 B.C., the first historical yogin in India. Patanjali expounded classical yoga around 200 B.C., based on the meditation on the Pranava, or seed syllable. So, the basic TM technique is very ancient. According to Eliade, India is the home of the original yoga - mantra yoga. The Buddha was the founder of the enlightenment tradition in India. According to Patanjali, (Charles Johnston translation):

/"Yoga is the cessation of the mental turnings of the mind."/ - Yoga Sutra, I.1.2

The Shakya formulated the 'Eightfold Path' leading to Nirvana. The term 'Nirvana' is Sanskrit, is the central concept in Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism, and Kashmir Shaivism. Nirvana is the state of being 'enlightened', free from ignorance. A state where the mind that has come to a point of /"perfect lucidity and clarity due to the cessation of the production of volitional formations."/ Patanjali says that yoga is the /'cessation of the fluctuations of the mind-stuff"/.

/"Let there be soundless repetition of the [pranava] and meditation thereon."/ - Yoga Sutra, I. 1.28

"Chit" is thought; "citta" is consciousness. "Citta vriti" means the turning of thought in the mind. "Nirodha" is cessation - the turnings have stopped, ceased, come to a halt, stilled, blown out, made peaceful, "Nirvana" means release; thought has been totally left behind - pure consciousness, all by itself; there is no returning; no more.

Siddhis are an indicator of natural law - Causation. According to my professor, A.J. Bham, Yoga has to do *isolation* (Sanskrit kaivalya) from the prakriti. Cessation, (Sanskrit "nirodha) of the fluctuations of the mind-stuff and the attainment of freedom, based on the sheer willpower of the individual (moksha).

/"Freedom is a reversal of the evolutionary course of prakriti, which is empty of meaning for the purusha; it is also the power of consciousness in a state of true identity."/ - Yoga Sutra, IV. 34.

Notes:

As a seed syllable (bija mantra), it is also considered holy in Esoteric Buddhism. According to what I've read, in Advaita Vedanta philosophy OM is /"frequently used to represent three subsumed into one, a triune, a common theme in Hinduism. It implies that our current existence is mithya and maya, "falsehood", that in order to know the full truth we must comprehend beyond the body and intellect the true nature of infinity. Essentially, upon moksha (mukti, samadhi) one is able not only to see or know existence for what it is, but to become it. When one gains true knowledge, there is no split between the knower and the known: one becomes knowledge/consciousness itself. In essence, Om is the signifier of the ultimate truth that all is one."/

Om:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Om

According to the The Pali Canon, which is the oldest known teachings of The Buddha, meditation is mentioned numerous times. Other types of meditation taught by The Buddha are also found in the in ancient commentary Visuddhimagga.

Practice in detail here:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/burns/wheel088.html#other

*Works cited:*
*
**'Yoga: Immortality and Freedom'*
by Mircea Eliade
/The standard text on Yoga; scholarly; definitive, by the author of 'Shamanism', The Myth of the Eternal Return, History of Religious Ideas, etc./
Princeton, Bollingen Foundation, Second Edition 1969
p. 264

*The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, "The Book of the Spiritual Man" *
by Charles Johnston
Watkins, 1974)Paperback

  • [FairfieldLife]... 'Richard J. Williams' pundits...@gmail.com [FairfieldLife]
    • [Fairfield... seerd...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]