Re "Winston Smith is the protagonist in George Orwell's novel 1984. He works
in the Ministry of Truth. His job is one of continuously rewriting history to
conform to the current view held by the ruling totalitarian party. He deletes
references to persons out of favour.":

 I used to work for the BBC in London so often hung out at Broadcasting House
(where George Orwell worked during the war writing propaganda). Broadcasting
House (and the BBC) was Orwell's inspiration for the Ministry of Truth.
 Deleting references to people out of favour is chillingly like the recent
directive from the European Union giving people the "right to be forgotten" and
ordering Google to delete all links to articles that anyone now finds
embarrassing. Lots of low-lifes and criminals are taking advantage of that
decision.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote :

 Winston Smith is the protagonist in George Orwell's novel 1984. He works in
the Ministry of Truth. His job is one of continuously rewriting history to
conform to the current view held by the ruling totalitarian party. He deletes
references to persons out of favour, creates new versions of historical
documents to conform to the new version of truth. In this society, it does not
matter if you are for or against the party, for in the end, they will get to
you and you will love the party leader 'Big Brother', or you will be dead. Kind
of like North Korea today.

 I dunnoe who Winston Smith is.