Dear Friends,

Below is a letter with advice on how to proceed from our local attorney Jay
Marcus.

Here are steps to submit your Opt Out:
Following the instructions on Alliant’s flyer, enter:
alliantenergy..com/nonstandardmeter
<http://alliantenergy.com/nonstandardmeter>.
Select Iowa.
Click on the fifth question, “How do I select a nonstandard meter?”
Click on the hotlink at the bottom for the Residential Nonstandard Meter Sign
Up form.
Click on Allow to download the form.
Fill out the form and click on “Submit by email.”

My “Submit by email" didn’t submit my form. So I called Alliant's phone number
for the Nonstandard Meter Hotline listed on the flyer for those with questions:
1-877-725-6611. After around 20 minutes on hold a customer service
representative politely took my information and submitted it for me.

Warm best wishes,
Dick

Forwarded from: i...@dharmafoundation.org

MARCUS LAW OFFICES
1946 Mansion Drive, Fairfield, Iowa 52556

June 22, 2020 | jmar...@marcuspc.com <mailto:jmar...@marcuspc.com> |(641)
472-5945

Regarding recent opt out notices from Alliant

The following is in regards to the notice you recently received from Alliant
Energy and some advice from others in the community telling you not to take any
action on Alliant’s notice until further word is received from the Iowa
Utilities Board. I don't agree with this advice.

You should follow the instructions on the Alliant notice and act within 30
days. Alliant sent a notice telling you that it needs to hear from you in 30
days or it will install a smart meter.  In my view it is not prudent to hope
the Iowa Utilities Board will make Alliant clarify its notices or require that
you be given more time. Why take a chance on that and be stuck with a smart
meter for a time?

If you have any questions you can call Alliant’s Nonstandard Meter Hotline at
1-877-725-6611. I understand that you may have received multiple notices, or
the notice you received may not have given you an analog opt out choice. There
are different notices that Alliant sent, depending on whether you already have
an analog meter, or digital, or solar, are a landlord, etc. You may have
received some that do not apply to the meter you have, but there should be one
that is applicable. Maybe this or some other aspect confused you. But all the
notices state that if you have questions about what to do to opt out, you
should call Alliant at the number above. You will get accurate information from
them as they are very focused on this with all your calls.

I also believe strongly that you should not complain to the Utilities Board as
you may have been advised. In my view it paints us in a bad light as
complainers (or worse) where no complaint to the Board is necessary (if you are
confused, call Alliant as instructed on the notices), and it wastes the Board’s
time. If we need to go to the Board for something in the future, this will not
help! Alliant doesn’t want the difficulty of having to deal with analog meters,
and your complaints about how you found the analog instructions to be confusing
may convince the Board that we have too many options as one source of the
confusion.

The meters that are available as opt out options are: 1. Analog meter which is
available only if you currently have one, 2. Non-transmitting Digital meter,
(which isn’t a smart meter and doesn’t emit RF radiation), 3. Smart meter in
the opt out mode (this is a reduced transmission smart meter). For gas
customers you have the option to keep your existing meter without a smart
module being put in it that will emit RF radiation.

You may want to forward this to others since our mailing list is not complete
and others may have been confused by contrary advice circulating in the
community.

Jay Marcus
‌

Dharma Foundation