Forwarded from: dsand...@msn.com

Please forward this email to others in Jefferson County.

I hope this will be the last political email I send before the election Nov..
3rd.

Dear Jefferson County Voters,

Absentee ballots have been mailed and early voting has started.

NOTE: The Auditor’s office is open today (Saturday) until 5 PM, and next
Saturday 9 AM – 5 PM.

If you have submitted an absentee ballot request, please complete and return
it. You can mail it in, but starting Tuesday, Oct. 27th, I suggest that you
deliver it to the Auditor at the Courthouse to assure that it is counted on
November 3rd.
Note: You can bypass the tables where people may be voting and hand your ballot
(with signature on the envelop) to the staff inside the Auditor’s office.

If you have not submitted an absentee ballot request, just go to the Courthouse
and cast your ballot.

You can see a sample ballot here
<http://www.jeffersoncountyiowa.com/elections.htm>. Scroll down through the
webpage to find the ballot for your voting precinct. Other voting info is also
on this linked page.

JUDGES and CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION: On the back of the ballot are places to
vote on retention of judges and a chance to indicate whether you want a
Constitutional Convention. This Public Measure 1 is on the ballot as mandated
by law. Please vote to retain the judges and vote “No” on the Constitutional
Convention question.
Rationale: We have good judges and I recommend not giving the Republican
Governor an opportunity to appoint partisan judges. The same goes for a
Constitutional Convention. We don’t need to amend Iowa’s Constitution and a
convention would give Republicans an opportunity to inscribe their extreme
agenda in the Constitution.

Candidate Forums: Sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce, forums happened
Tuesday, Oct. 6th for Jefferson County Sheriff and County Supervisors
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn4Ib712ahQ>, and Wednesday, Oct. 7th for
State Legislators <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzwLQVsZxVQ>. The forums
start about 15 minutes into the recordings, so scroll until you see the
participants on the stage. An earlier Iowa Press Debate between Democrat Rita
Hart and her Republican opponent Marionnette Miller-Meeks can be found here
<https://www.iowapublicradio.org/ipr-news/2020-09-11/watch-candidates-rita-hart-and-iowa-sen-marianette-miller-meeks-debate>.
 Miller-Meeks, a true Trumpette, is currently our State Senator.

PRESIDENT, SENATOR, CONGRESSPERSON: Bernie made the case for voting for
Democrats in a marvelous speech <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAAWxZGHJNo>.
Basically, he argued that we must repudiate Trump and his Republican enablers
and sycophants by electing Democrats for their social, economic and
environmental policies. He added that we have influence with Democrats, and
that he and others were working with Joe Biden’s people and will continue to
work with them after Joe is elected. I’d say the same for the other Democrats —
Theresa Greenfield for U.S. Senate and Rita Hart for 2ndDistrict
Representative. Theresa and Rita are qualified, solid players dedicated to the
wellbeing and success of all Iowans. Their opponents are dedicated Trump
supporters whose attack ads have been totally Trump-ish — gross distortions and
outright lies. Surely, I don’t need to say more. You can find info on Theresa
Greenfield’s platform on her website <https://greenfieldforiowa.com/> and
Facebook <https://www..facebook.com/GreenfieldForIowa>. Info on Rita Hart’s
platform is on her website <https://www.ritahart.com/> and Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/RitaHart4Iowa>.
FOOTNOTE: There are actually nine candidates for President/VP. Please don’t
waste your vote on any of the other seven, either out of conviction or as a
protest. Only Biden has a chance to oust Trump.

STATE REPRESENTATIVE — District 82, which encompasses the western two-thirds of
Jefferson County plus Van Buren and Davis Counties. Republicans control the
Iowa Legislature and Governor’s Mansion. They have been passing ALEC’s bills
supporting an extreme right-wing agenda. Let’s vote the Republicans out.

PHIL MILLER (D): Phil is a veterinarian and former president of the Fairfield
Community School District Board. He’s deeply committed to health, public
education and strengthening our rural economy, which includes factories, small
businesses, a large service sector, health care personnel, farmers and
agricultural workers. Phil also served for one year as our representative,
filling the vacancy left by the untimely death of Curt Hanson. He’s a
reasonable person who listens to all. He believes strongly in treating people
fairly with social justice and economic equality, and in respecting the
environment. You can learn more on his website
<https://www.millerforiowahouse.com/> and Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/millerforiowahouse/> pages. I respect Phil’s broad
understanding of the needs of the District and his ability to take in people’s
ideas. He’ll bring a calm, rational and collaborative approach in the
Legislature.

JEFF SHIPLEY (R): Although Jeff gained favor with many in the Fairfield
community for his support for those who sought to block the rollout of smart
utility meters and 5-G cellular service, and for his hippie-ish Peace and Love
(or Peace and Prosperity) campaign theme, he has consistently shown a callous
attitude
<https://iowastartingline.com/2020/06/03/jeff-shipley-has-public-meltdown-in-follow-up-speech/>
 towards the novel coronavirus pandemic — even stating that he hoped he would
catch Covid-19 so he would become immune — and opposition to public schooling —
voting against increased funding for school busing and supporting parents who
favored full time in-school classes this semester by campaigning against
passage of the referendum on the Revenue Purpose Statement for long-term use of
tax revenues. Jeff has also published several ads attacking his opponent with
misleading or outright false statements in a manner consistent with Republican
strategy in this election. Furthermore, Jeff has voted for bills pushed by the
Republican leadership that come directly from ALEC that serve large corporate
interests, not Iowans. He strongly opposes abortion and has made chauvinist
comments in public. He fails to understand the nature of transgender sexual
development even after I met with him and explained it in detail. His failure
to understand sprung from his staunch Catholic and Libertarian ideologies.
While I personally enjoy engaging with Jeff and have done so many times, we
have little common ground and I cannot support him over his opponent. Here’s
his Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/peaceloveiowa/> page.

STATE REPRESENTATIVE — District 84, which encompasses eastern Jefferson County
plus Henry, Washington and Lee counties.

Jeff Fager (D): Jeff is a retired college administrator having last been Vice
president for Academic Affairs at Iowa Wesleyan University. He is chair of the
Henry County Democratic Party. He feels that his experience preparing
multi-million dollar budgets and managing academic departments at academic
institutions was valuable preparation for setting a State budget and
negotiating with others to establish priorities and make strategic plans. He
recognizes that Southeastern Iowa’s greatest challenges are health care,
education and the rural economy in this time of the coronavirus pandemic. He’s
on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/Jeff-Fager-for-Statehouse-102154368105541> and has
this website <https://fagerforstatehouse.com/>.

Joe Mitchell (R): Joe is a senior account manager at MD Orthopaedics in Mt.
Pleasant. He has served two terms as State Representative. He worked as a page
in the Iowa House and as a clerk in the State Senate, plus he worked in Gov.
Reynold’s and Sen. Joni Ernst’s offices. Joe wants more State resources
directed to rural Iowa with specific investments in broadband, child care
assistance and public schools. He speaks of developing an environment friendly
to small businesses. His goals are a balanced budget and strict fiscal
management. He acknowledges that decreased State revenues will make achieving
these goals challenging, but sees the State’s reserve fund as available to
relieve some of the pressure. In my experience, Joe is a staunch conservative
who supports the Republican position of lowering taxes and reducing services,
which has left workers struggling and folks needing services wanting. Here’s
his Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/JoeMitchell4Iowa/> page.

COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS: This race is interesting because four people are
running for two seats. I’ll put the two candidates I want to see elected, one
Republican and one Democrat, first. I do not want either of the other two
candidates elected. You can read about what the candidates said during the
forum held on Sept. 24 here
<https://www.southeastiowaunion.com/subject/news/jefferson-county-supervisor-candidates-answer-questions-in-livestreamed-forum-20200928>.

Susie Drish is a native of Jefferson County and a partner in the Pony Farm,
where they breed a special small pony known as Poas. They also have alpaca and
fainting goats. (You needed to know that, right?) Susie worked for 39 years in
a Federal Job Training program through Indian Hills Community College. She
mentored at-risk kids, low-income adults, offenders, welfare recipients and
dislocated workers. In this work, Susie related to agencies, employers and
school districts. She is well known and respected in Jefferson County for her
contributions to economic development. She serves on the JeffCo Extension Board
and the Board of the JeffCo Mutual Insurance Agency. Susie is well qualified to
serve as Supervisor and determined to do the job.

Dee Sandquist is the only incumbent. A native of Jefferson County, she and her
husband farm east of Fairfield with commitment to preserving soil and water for
future generations.  Dee has over 40 years of management experience in food,
nutrition and health care. She was a national spokesperson for the Academy of
Nutrition and Dietetics. She works to alleviate food insecurity as a board
member of Carry-on Bags and Hunger Dialogue. She is an ambassador for the
Women, Food and Agriculture Network and helps farmers learn to use cover crops,
no-till and crop rotation, which help preserve soil and reduce greenhouse
gases. She is endorsed by the Sierra Club. Dee has worked hard in her first
term as Supervisor and earned the respect of a diverse constituency.

Nick Adam is a CAFO developer, operating several CAFOs and seeking to build
more. He knows quite a bit about what goes on in the County, seeing issues from
the perspective of agri-business. Nick has a different view of financing County
development, favoring bonds over budgeting (pay as you go) for long-term needs.
I cannot do the issue justice here.

Keith Vlademar has no party affiliation and, judging from his debate
presentation, little knowledge of or qualifications for the job of Supervisor.
He is a retired surveyor who worked for the Department of Transportation.

JEFFERSON COUNTY SHERIFF: You may not think about the Sheriff’s Office often,
but its roles in the community are important. Beyond law enforcement, the
Sheriff’s deputies assist citizens in difficult situations and provide security
to all. Sheriff’s deputies are always ready to rush to any emergency in any
school, business or home in the county, putting their lives on the line, if
necessary, to protect our community. The person we elect as Sheriff must have
experience both in law enforcement and in administration, as well as the focus
and judgment to lead the deputies. This race is interesting because of divided
support for the candidates. Both candidates are current Sheriff’s Deputies but
they have quite different backgrounds and philosophies for leading the Office.

The difference in philosophies became apparent in the last candidate forum
<https://www.facebook.com/FairfieldMediaCenter/videos/1697104933787135>. In
response to the question: "What was your personal response to the death of
George Floyd?" Deputy Tracy Vance responded: "I was appalled. That was murder
and that officer acted with malice and was inappropriate." He went on to
explain that if he were Sheriff, the officer would be held accountable and his
Office would be fully transparent about what happened.

Chief Deputy Bart Richmond responded: "I didn't jump to any conclusions. I
didn't react like the rest of the country." He went on to say that Floyd might
have had drugs in his system, which is blaming the victim for what happened and
letting the police officer be the judge, jury and executioner.

It's clear that Bart represents the old school, good ol' boys authoritarian
philosophy of policing that has suppressed minority and poor communities since
the founding of this country. Tracy, on the other hand, represents
community-oriented policing. He's proposed establishing a Citizen’s Advisory
Council to facilitate communication and transparency between the Sheriff's
Office concerned citizens in any situation.

Before I discuss the candidates’ qualifications, I think I should say something
about the endorsements each has received. Bart Richmond touts the endorsements
of the retiring Sheriff, Gregg Morton, and many currently in the Sheriff,
Police and Fire departments. Tracy Vance has been endorsed by the former
Sheriff, Chief Deputy and Lieutenant. There is some question about the
endorsements Bart Richmond got in the Sheriff’s Office and the Police
Department. As he’s the Chief Deputy and the hand-picked successor to the
retiring Sheriff, it had to have been hard for other Deputies and employees to
say ‘no.’ There’s a legal issue too in making those requests for endorsement at
the Law Center. I believe that Bart’s seeking endorsements from his co-workers
reflects his “good ol’ boys” approach to the Sheriff’s job. Tracy has
demonstrated a more professional approach in his campaign.

I should say something too about Bart’s campaign manager, Wally Devasier. While
I respect Wally’s right to endorse a buddy and lead his campaign, we must also
remember that, in the political sphere, he is not representing the meditating
community… and neither am I. Many leaders of the Movement support Tracy, though
they feel that they cannot make a public endorsement because of their position.
We need to evaluate the candidates on their merits.

Deputy Tracy Vance is a professional who has a combination of law enforcement,
community relations, administrative and budget management experience that will
serve the citizens of Jefferson County well. He has over thirty years of public
service as a firefighter, Emergency Medical Technician, school board member,
county supervisor, Chamber of Commerce director, and economic development
director. Tracy is keenly aware of the human aspects of the work of the
Sheriff’s deputies, which are the biggest part of the job. I’m referring to
matters like domestic quarrels and mental health crises. Tracy wants the
deputies to get much more training in managing these kinds of situations
because they demand mediation skills rather than a gun or a taser. He also
proposes establishing a Citizen’s Advisory Council to facilitate effective
communication between the Sheriff’s Office and the community. Find more
information on Tracy’s Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/Vance4Sheriff/> page
and website
<https://www.vanceforsheriff.com/?fbclid=IwAR3r8IiDrx_dXj_HmLkJHc7B1E6AmY5wEdi1AwmGYAKsvHLhQIZgfaSrLSA>.

Chief Deputy Bart Richmond is the designated successor to the retiring Sheriff.
You may have seen his VW Beetle around the County. Bart has made a career in
law enforcement since 1992. He has executed the duties of Chief Deputy capably.
Though I have heard questions raised about his “good ol’ boys” style of law
enforcement, I have not heard that his management has compromised law
enforcement. He is well-liked around the County. In his campaign, claims have
been made about his promoting de-escalation training. It is my understanding
that he circulated information on one such course when it became available, but
did not promote it, as his rhetoric suggests. His interest arose in response to
Tracy’s promoting his plan for further training for deputies. There is little
information about Bart on his Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/votebart/>
page.

JEFFERSON COUNTY AUDITOR Scott Reneker is running unopposed for reelection.

OTHER POSITIONS ON THE BALLOT:

County Public Hospital Trustee
Soil and Water Conservation District Commissioner
County Agricultural Extension Council Member

There are as many candidates running to serve the County as there are seats to
fill for each of these positions. I suggest voting for the candidates on the
ballot just to keep some unhinged being from slipping into office via a
write-in campaign.

Please forward this email to others in Jefferson County.

If you wish to stop receiving my political emails,
“Reply” with “Unsubscribe” in the Subject pane.