> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin" <jflanegi@>
wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajranatha@> wrote:
> > >
> > > http://www.sbinstitute.com/matofgaps.pdf
> > >
> > > Virtually all cognitive scientists today assume that
> > consciousness
> > > and all subjectively experienced mental processes are
functions
> > of
> > > the brain, and are therefore emergent properties or functions
of
> > > matter. This is the mainstream scientific view of
consciousness,
> > and
> > > those who reject this hypothesis are commonly viewed by many
> > > scientists as being in the grip of a metaphysical bias or
> > religious
> > > faith.
> > >
> > > To evaluate this scientific perspective, let's first review
some
> > > simple, uncontested facts: Scientists have (1) no consensual
> > > definition of consciousness, (2) no means of measuring it or
its
> > > neural correlates, and (3) an incomplete knowledge of the
> > necessary
> > > and sufficient causes of consciousness. The fact that no state
of
> > > consciousness – in fact, no subjectively experienced mental
> > > phenomenon of any kind – is detectable using the instruments
of
> > > science means that, strictly speaking, there is no
scientific,
> > > empirical evidence for the existence of consciousness or the
> > mind.
> > > The only experiential evidence we have for the existence of
> > mental
> > > phenomena consists of reports based on first-person,
> > introspective
> > > observations of one's own mental states. But such first-
person
> > > accounts are not objective, they are not subject to third-
person
> > > corroboration, and they are generally presented by people with
no
> > > formal training in observing or reporting on their own mental
> > > processes. Yet without such anecdotal evidence for the
existence
> > of
> > > mental phenomena, scientists would have no knowledge of the
> > mental
> > > correlates of the neural and behavioral processes that they
study
> > > with such precision and sophistication. In other words, the
whole
> > > edifice of scientific knowledge of mental processes that arise
in
> > > dependence upon brain functions is based on evidence that is
> > > anecdotal and unscientific.
> > >
> > Yes- plenty of subjective evidence, but no matter how much
evidence,
> > it never establishes proof.
> >
> > More like the brain is a very sensitive amplifier of
consciousness,
> > with dynamic filters that allow it to interpret consciousness
> > according to the orientation of the senses, both inward and
outward.

> > The brain's amplified, dynamically filtered interpretation of
> > consciousness is watched by the self, and as it moves through
time
> > and space, becomes the mind.
> >
> > So any measure of the brain can only prove that the mind is
created
> > out of consciousness, and can be measured in different states of
> > consciousness, but the states of consciousness themselves can
never
> > be proven by these measurements of the brain.
> >

> Science never proves anything. There is no scientific proof that
the sun will rise tomorrow.

> However, for most people, scientists can now eyeball various
measures and tell when they
> are asleep or awake or dreaming or even in samadhi during
meditation.

Agreed- science will only provide evidence of a greater or lesser
likehood of something's existence. This is easy to do for awake or
dreaming states, because they are so universally recognized.

Not so for samadhi. The science of measuring samadhi is in its early
stage. Right now it is still like a snake chasing its tail-
Subjectively, the subject says, "OK I am in samadhi", and the
subject is measured. Then the measurement becomes evidence of the
state.

In an average study, let's say there appears to be correlation
between what, 100 subjects? Compared to billions, who I am sure
would agree on when they were awake, or dreaming.

So maybe Samadhi can be globally agreed upon as a state verified by
science. That would be great! But I don't think there is enough
consensus on the validity of the studies so far, to say that Samadhi
has been scientifically validated.