On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, C Bobroff wrote:

> If you don't redefine your concept of "easy",

Well, honestly the way it is now in MS software (or even Linux) is not
good enough even for experts. IMO, all OS-es should come automatically
with all languages enabled, or, at the minimum, come with an automatic
update the first time the user opens a document in, say, Chinese or
switches to a, say, Pashto keyboard layout.

> people are going to say it's too hard to bother with this script and
> that's why they advocate romanizing Persian.

I don't care if they can do that properly. If they suggest a sane
mechanism for latinizing Persian. The point is: nobody has ever come up
with a real suggestion, one that considers all the invovled details. They
usually just publish a table and stop there. I may even jump on the train
if they come up with a reference dictionary and a software to convert the
older documents.

> Do you know just to enable FA input on a Windows machine is asking too
> much for newbies?

It is. That is the reason the newbies should have these automatically
installed for them when they buy the machine. Or they should employ
someone to do that for them!!! The golden rule is: "If you are a newbie,
know it, don't nag to others that you have a right to be ignorant, and ask
or pay for expert advice." That's what is already happening in the law
world, or the automechanic world, or ...

> I was even joking with someone at MS that a first-time user should be able
> to sit down at the comptuer and say, "Please activate Persian" and
> automatically FA will be enabled, Word will fire up, nastaliq font
No, no Nastaliq font. It's not the default for Persian anymore. People
have a hard time reading Nastaliq for anything longer than a few words.

> at reasonable fontsize selected and RTL/right-aligned mode on and
> on-screen keyboad at your service!
>
> Even this probably won't be sufficient...

It won't be. The system should start the Persian support at the first
moment the user starts talking Persian to the microphone.

roozbeh