  From: Tim Cowlishaw
  To: Open Rights Group open discussion list ; UK FreeCulture Discuss List
  Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 7:49 AM
  Subject: [fc-uk-discuss] Copyright in compilation albums?

  Hi all,

  Not strictly on-topic, but I was wondering if anyone on here could shed some
light on a conversation I'm having:

  In the case of a compilation album (eg. 'Greatest Hits of the 60s', 'Now
That's What I Call Generic Chart Pop 2006') is there a copyright in the
compilation itself, as well as those that exist in the tracks it uses?

  And, if so, is this a copyright on the new compilation 'sound recording' as a
derivative work of the tracks it includes, or a right to the rather more
abstract notion of the selection and order of those tracks, rather than in any
specific instance of that selection manifested in a sound recording?

  any input would be greatly appreciated...

  cheers!

  Tim