I hope that last isn't true, or there's no point in public key crypto. My
understanding is that, for all practical purposes, a digital signature *is*
a signed hash bundled with a public certificate. I seem to recall some
potential weaknesses in both SHA-1 and MD5 published by Chinese
mathematicians; perhaps one possible (if annoying) workaround is to use both
hash algorithms? Either way, plan for SHA-3:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA