>> My question is this: is there any harm in sending, in plaintext, the
>> hash of the *original* plaintext file to the peer? This would be used
>> when recovering the file to make sure it has been safely decrypted
>> etc. Assume the hash would be cryptographically secure (i.e. SHA256)

> Conditionally, yes. it can be used for massively distributed trial
> decryption to verify that the trial was correct. However, in practical
> terms, no, as encryption schemes often include inband checksums
anyhow.

I don't really agree that encryption schemes often include checksums.
Certainly key-wrapping protocols include a checksum, but almost all
other schemes just encrypt. Some schemes allow for the inclusion of an
optional digital signature, such as with CMS or OpenPGP, but they are
rarely used in an applications.

Other than the trial decryption, I'm not aware of any leakage of data
from hashing. If you are worried about the hash, consider a keyed hash
message authentication code. It has the same length of output as the
underlying hash. Just do not use the same key as you use for encryption.

Eric Lengvenis

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If
you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on
this message or any information herein. If you have received this
and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.