One key driver: "Intel is putting AES in the CPU"; *assuming* we stick with EDS
for a while, this ought to give an advantage to software encryption in most
multicore CPU, single-user scenarios (ex.- laptops).

I don't see why drive CPU's wouldn't ultimately benefit from similar
technology. If Intel can produce AES as a CPU sub-feature, then the same thing
can be implemented in onboard drive controllers.

Ideally I should much prefer an intermediate crypto-controller for storage that
uses firmware. Then my crypto implementation and keying scheme can be
independent of drive hardware, and also relatively (though usually not
completely) platform-agnostic.