<snip #1>
Please don't tell me this is true. Seagate's own commissioned
study concluded that the standard ATA hard disk password was
not secure.
</snip>
I think the idea is that you can use ATAPI (via the BIOS) to lock either an FDE
drive or a
non-FDE drive. In the case of the non-FDE drive, you'll be using standard ATA
locking
(which can be bypassed with relative ease, apparently); in the case of an FDE
drive,
you'll be leveraging the more effective full disk encryption implemented on the
cryptographic ASIC within the drive enclosure. Doing a "reset" on that would
cause the
attacker to lose any chance of recovering the data on the disk. (Someone please
correct me
if I'm wrong.)

<snip #2>
Which begs the question, how do these software products protect
the password? I had thought they were doing it using the TPM
but now I don't think so.
</snip>
The TPM is used by software-based FDE products, like PGP and BitLocker (the
TPM, in
essence, acts as a "smart card" in the context of FDE). In contrast, I haven't
heard of an
FDE disk (such as Seagate's Momentus) that rely on anything outside the disk
enclosure
(wrt encryption or key storage). Instead, my understanding (again, someone
please
interject if I'm wrong) is that software that is "FDE harddrive-aware" can be
used for key
management purposes. This would be unnecessary for single users, but essential
for
enterprise deployment of FDE harddrives.

---

I think the bottom line is that FDE providers--s/w or h/w--should be more
transparent
about how their encryption is implemented. As potential buyers, people on this
list often
make decisions on what to purchase (or recommend for acquisition) based on
public
information about the product.

Scott S scott at u.washington.edu wrote in part:
(http://www.xml-dev.com/pipermail/fde/2009-April/001075.html)

<snip>

 > And it is only when you set the password on the drive that you
 > are taking advange of encryption security. And you don't need
 > anything to do that either (more on this later).

<snip>

 > Third, when you set the password and authenticate to the drive
 > at the start of the computer, in essence, what you are doing is
 > providing permission to the drive to use its secret encryption
 > key to read and write the data.

<snip>

 > Four, so how do you set the password on the FDE drive? There are
 > two ways. The simple, cheap, and quick way is via the drive lock
 > in the BIOS (not to be confused with the system BIOS password).
 > For this you don't need anything else, just go into the BIOS and
 > look for it under the hard drive or SATA section to set it. Once
 > set, the password gets save on the drive so that if you were to
 > connect the drive to a diffent computer, it will still ask for
 > the password. The drive lock password is ideal for single users
 > and don't need anything fancy.

Please don't tell me this is true. Seagate's own commissioned
study concluded that the standard ATA hard disk password was
not secure.

"Hard Drive Password(using ATA)
  Minimal protection

  Available on most notebooks and some desktops. Prevents the drive
  from retrieving data unless the correct password is provided. Does
  not encrypt any data. Easily defeated but requires specific skills
  or hiring someone with those skills. Stronger than BIOS or OS
  passwords but still weak protection and not suitable for data
  worth more than US$100."

http://www.wwpi.com/summer-2007/2669-hard-drive-passwords-easily-defeated-the-truth-about-data-protection
http://seagate.com/docs/pdf/whitepaper/HDpasswrd_TP580-1-0710US.pdf.

All the fancy encryption on the disk isn't going to do any good
if the password unlocking it is easily recovered.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer