Chris/list
I've been interested in this since I first started working with Fedora
since Debian is my OS of choice, and I appreciate being able to keep a
full system up to date via a package manager like apt-get.  I started
some research, but haven't completed it.  I see two streams of effort
for this to occur for the package to be accepted into Debian proper.

The first issue is to make a Fedora install adhere to the Debian
standards.  First off, the install can't run with an embedded Tomcat.
This was a stumbling block I had at RIRI this year, but have since
solved (Matt - don't copy the server.xml file in from Fedora, then
'chown -R tomcat55 ${FEDORA_HOME}' and restart Tomcat) now Tomcat runs
as a non-privileged user and its config and updates are handled via
Debian's apt-get.  Having Fedora depend on Tomcat is reasonable, I'll
try to find some examples of other apps doing this.  After this we have
the issue of where Fedora should live, following other Debian packages
(some research will need to be done on this) I think most of it would
end up in /var/lib/fedora(-commons?).  We would also need the server and
the client to be broken out, fedora-commons-server-3.0.deb,
fedora-commons-server-3.0.deb

The second issue, once all the paths and physical issues are figured
out, is to have an agreed upon base install.properties that would be a
proper base to build on.  I would say to install risearch, rest, etc,
but disable them by default, telling the user where the conf file is
that needs to be modified to toggle this.  Also, for this, I would
recommend we only target 3.x+ releases.

Having more experience in Debian than Fedora, I'd like to tackle the
first paragraph (Debian-izing FC), and put the second paragraph up for
debate on the list (or by someone else) to get hammered out.

This week and next are busy for me, I'm implementing my first/permanent
Fedora, and getting all the data ingested correctly will take most of my
time.  After that I'm happy to 'hack the weeds' and get Fedora lined up
for Debian.  Let me start doing some research, I'll update the Wiki page
on the issue, and then start hacking on it in a few weeks.

On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 09:36 -0400, Chris Wilper wrote:
> Anyone interested in hacking down the weeds on this?
>
> http://oxfordrepo.blogspot.com/2008/08/dspace-and-fedora-need-opinionated.html
>
> I think there are a few interesting aspects to this:
> - What should go in a "default" install (db choice, security settings,
> ri on/off, etc)
> - How do you put a proper .deb together for Fedora (manually)?
> - How do you build a .deb automatically (so it can get easily updated
> per-release)?
> - What kind of cookies?
>
> - Chris

Phil Cryer  |  Open Source Development  |  Missouri Botanical Garden
www: http://mobot.org  |  latitude, longitude: 38.613877, -90.257943
email: phildotcryeratmobotdotorg  |  im googletalk/skype: phil.cryer