I just had a quick look at the code. As far as I can see (and I may not
be right) one problem may be the following:
Assume both threads with same PID are inside the method getIngestWriter
and has passed the method-call objectExists(...). At this point neither
of the objects exists assuming none of the threads has yet reached
registerObject(...).
If one of the threads then get the writeLock, does what it needs to do
and releases the writeLock before the second thread reaches writeLock,
then the second thread will reach registerObject(...). As far as I can
tell, inside registerObject(...) an SQLException will be thrown since
the row already exists in the database, and the method
unregisterObject(...) will be called actually unregistering a legally
created object.

Someone with more insight into the code should verify if the above is
correct.

-Jesper