I've been tired for some time of watching rpmnew and rpmsave files. I've been looking for some tool, but did not find any, so I wrote my own.

http://miroslav.suchy.cz/fedora/rpmconf/rpmconf

Before I spend more times on this script, I would like to hear your opinion. Do you find it useful? Did it already exists and I miss it in my search? Do you see any bugs there?

What it does:
- run "rpmconf --help" and you will see :)
- it search all config file of all installed packages and check if file with .rpmsave or .rpmnew exists.
- It allows you to see diff of this file against current file.
- It allows you to keep current version or the other one (rpmsave or rpmnew one).
- it deletes .rpmsave and .rpmnew files which are identical to current file
- after your choice it deletes the unwanted file.

And what it does not do:
- it do not delete anything. At least until you comment out DEBUG variable on begging of script. - it does not search for *all* rpmsave and rpmnew files. It only search for installed configuration files. If package has been uninstalled and rpmsave has been left behind, then I do not care. If rpmsave or rpmnew has been created in past and now the config file is not presented in package any more, then I do not care too.

And before you comment out DEBUG variable, obvious question. Do you have backups? :)

--
Miroslav Suchy
Red Hat Satellite Engineering