> Andreas Schwab (sch...@redhat.com) said:
> > > 2. xz generates different compressed files when run on different
> > > architectures
> >
> > The problem is that the encoder uses different hash functions depending
> > on the endianess.  The hash functions are defined in
> > liblzma/lz/lz_encoder_hash.h, and are based on the values in
> > lzma_crc32_table[0].  This table is different between big end little
> > endian.
>
> Not having looked at the algorithm... *why*? Is it really that big
> of a difference?

Ok, I've just had a conversation on IRC with Lasse Collin, the
maintainer of xz.  He's now planning on changing xz so it will produce
the same output independent of endianess.  He hasn't committed to any
timeframe, though.

He did bring up some other very good points, though.  Xz's compression
output hasn't been set in sand, much less stone.  The file format will
stay the same, but the same command-line options may result in different
compressed files.

We will probably need to have some kind of freeze for xz during a
release (or at the very least, a test case added to the build process
that fails when a generated xz file doesn't match a precreated one).
Alternatives include a mass rebuild whenever xz's compression format
changes and/or removing all deltarpms when xz's compression format
changes.

Another alternative would be for rpm to have a private copy of the
xz-lib code that stays fairly static.  Not sure how that would go down.

So, to summarize, architecture-specific deltarpms are working perfectly
in rawhide right now, and, if you're running a PPC machine, all
deltarpms are working perfectly.  Otherwise, noarch deltarpms will build
into an incorrect rpm, and yum-presto will proceed to redownload the
full rpm.

Jonathan