On Tue, 29.09.09 22:46, Kevin Kofler (kevin.kof...@chello.at) wrote:

> Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Uh. Nokia stands pretty firmly behind gst. As do most embedded folks.
>
> Behind GStreamer, sure. Behind Phonon (and thus also Phonon-GStreamer), not
> so much. They're currently using it, but there are people working on the Qt
> Mobility project talking about replacing Phonon with something else (another
> abstraction layer, again around native backends (GStreamer in the GNU/Linux
> case), I really don't see what the advantage would be over Phonon).

Haha. So the major 'advantage' of Phonon that it would allow replacing
the backends as time progresses without breaking the KDE apps using
them now officially is proven to be bogus. The KDE/Qt folks were so
afraid of a media engine breaking API so that they created their
abstraction thing and now break API of that one more often then the
media engines themselves do.

Do I hear an "I told you so!"?

Abstractionitis is an illness, not a remedy.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net