On 11/20/2009 06:31 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
On 11/20/2009 08:22 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On 11/19/2009 07:14 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:
On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 18:45 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
You must not confuse moblin with netbooks, nettops or with i386/32bit
machines in general. The moblin desktop is addressing a completely
different audience.

Oh?  That's not what I got from
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FedoraMoblin
It's what I get from this web-page and what I got from testing the
original Moblin desktop.

IMO, they are targetting MID devices, competing with Android, Smart
phones and similar.

That's a completely different audience as I am talking about: People
using netbooks, nettops and old i386s as inexpensive, "secondary"
machine for everyday, "low end" desktop usage, such as "browsing the
web", "word processing", "presentations", "photo browsing" etc.

User experience part of the page says

"Users of the Fedora Moblin Spin would have a much better user
experience on their NetBook, NetTop and other small devices"
That's what the marketing department wants it to be.

Reality speaks a different language:
* People are using their everyday desktop even on low end machines and do not want to fiddle around with "custom netbooks desktops". * People consider their low end machine's performance sufficient for such use-cases.

The essentially the same rationale/reason why netbooks/nettops with WinXP have been a huge success and why netbooks with "custom desktops" were a failure.

Ralf