On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, Noriko Hosoi wrote:

If "rpm -e fedora-ds" leaves all the directories listed above, the following "rpm -i fedora-ds" + setup operation would be the in-place upgrade instead of the fresh install if the same server ID (slapd-ID) is chosen. Maybe, that'd be the expected behavior for many administrators. For others, we could have one more question in the setup/upgrade dialog if the setup is a fresh install (wipe out the old files) or a in-place upgrade (use the old files). If the answer is "fresh install", we can clean up the old files, then.

Another thing is if the host is no longer used for the Fedora Directory Server, you may want to clean up the disk eventually. At that time, there is no tool to remove them. Theoretically, all the files/directories are under fedora-ds somewhere, so it won't be difficult to remove them manually, though. But it looks a little lame...

If 'setup' creates all of that stuff, could there be an 'unsetup'
command that removes it all?  I.e., if installation is:

rpm -hvU fedora-ds-....
/path/to/setup

Then uninstallation could be:

/path/to/unsetup
rpm -e fedora-ds

That way removal of all of the other stuff could be at the option of
the administrator.

Just a thought.  I'm sure you have nothing better to do than write
scripts consisting of a few hundred lines of rm. :)

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University