Kenneth Holter wrote:
Thank you for the quick reply.
We're going for the TLS based solution. However, I'd like a better understanding of SASL, so let me post these questions:

    * What can SASL be used for besides Kerberos integration?

The SASL mechanism Digest-MD5 is an LDAP standard authentication mechanism.

    * The RHDS documentation says that TLS can be used as an
      authentication mechanism, but doesn't provide much details.

You can use an X.509 user certificate (cert) to authenticate to the server. http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Howto:CertMapping

   *

    * How can I check if SASL is enabled on my LDAP server (RHDS)?

It is enabled by default.
ldapsearch -x -s base -b "" "objectclass=*" supportedsaslmechanisms