Hi,
I tested the kernel-2.6.24.2-3.fc8 (downloaded the x86_64 build directly) on my laptop. Hal detects two batteries because it looks in sysfs and in procfs for the battery info. I tryed to apply the patch from the hal-list which causes hal to not look in procfs but in sysfs only when the sysfs info is available. The problem with this is that the info in sysfs is broken (capcity 3.0 Wh etc while the procfs info is correct 45Wh). I would suggest to set CONFIG_ACPI_SYSFS_POWER to n because the procfs info already provides this data for userspace and does not report broken values.