Kyle McMartin wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 01:36:08PM -0500, Neil Horman wrote:
>> Absolutely, I've got a Thinkpad T42 here that does just fine on fedora 10.
>> Unless of course, I try to load a PAE enabled kernel on it.
>>
>> I've not looked into it at all, but this thread got me thinking, is there any
>> particular reason that we can't merge the pae and non-pae kernels using the
>> same
>> alternatives approach we used to merge smp & up?
>>

> I looked into this several years ago, it's actually fairly gnarly since
> depending on PAE we set up the swapper page tables differently, and
> other ugly differences.
>
> I should resurrect the patch set, though I think rationalizing it with the
> Xen merge might be more pain than it's worth... last time I looked at it
> there was a ridiculous amount of rejects.

Well, it depends on if you are talking about the non-upstream Xen patch, or the
current upstream pv_ops.  The former is all but dead, so you don't have to worry
about that, and the latter *should* (famous last words) mostly stay out of your
way through pv_ops.  Though I haven't gone in and implemented it myself, so it's
easy for me to say :).

I think choosing PAE at runtime would be the ideal situation, if we can get
there.

--
Chris Lalancette