David A. Ranch wrote:

Q. Why is the FedoraLegacy project shutting down?

A. A combination of reasons:
- A lack of community members that actually contributed to patches, testing, deployment, etc.
   - A lack of funding

Is funding really a issue? Unless you mean putting full time Red Hat employees on it, I dont see it as major problem.

Q. Will FedoraLegacy take on support for FC6?

A. No, the entire Legacy project is over. Upgrade to a newer version of FedoraCore if you want security and feature patches or upgrade to a different distro such as Redhat Enterprise Linux, Centos, or a different distro all
  together.

Maybe a note that Fedora itself is increasing it's lifecyle from around 9 to 13 months to enable users to upgrade easily and skip a release in between might be worth mentioning here.

Q. So what do I do now? I need a Redhat-style distribution that lasts longer than Redhat's official 12-18 month
  lifespan.

12-18 lifespan for what? Neither Fedora nor Red Hat Enterprise Linux is in that lifespan. The release for RHEL is around that timeframe but then each of the releases are supported for 7 years now. As for Fedora, Red Hat doesnt actually determine the release cycle or lifespan for that. The release features as well as resources available is the criteria for that. Fedora release cycle is around every 6 months and the lifespan for each release is around 13 months now.

Rahul