On 01/06/2010 12:48 PM, Max Pyziur wrote:
However,
the device doesn't automount, nor can I mount it from root.
> If the card has failed, I'd like to try and recover whatever data I can.

You could have a card failure or a corrupt filesystem (or both). Try reading the card with something like:

  dd if=/dev/sdb of=myflakeycard.dd bs=2M conv=sync,noerror

If that succeeds, the disk is probably OK. Usually they're vfat filesystems, so look into how to recover those.

> Can the card be made useable again through some sort of formatting utility?

something like:

  mkfs -t vfat -n yourphonenumberhere /dev/sdb1

works in my phones and cameras. That'll wipe your data of course. The -n flag is optional, but in theory a number there will help an honest man return your lost device. It worked once for me anyway.

-Bill

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner
BFC Computing, LLC