Hello,

I'm a new member. While caring for my cousin's cat Baby here in my home
during his 2-week vacation in Mexico, we had bloodwork done ahead of the
dental cleaning that my husband and I agreed to have done for her.  She
turned up positive for FeLeuk on ELISA, IFA, and PCR--the triple whammy.
She's already slightly anemic.

Baby was first vaccinated against FeLV in Jan. 2018 before her first-ever
stay with us.  But the booster due at week 3-4 was missed. This was followed
by a bite puncture in Dec. 2018. So I suspect that first vaccine was worn
off by the time of the bite.

Baby is 11 and in otherwise good health, so I hope there's a good chance
she'll still live her "normal span" --and perhaps even die of something
unrelated. But the anemia is not a  good sign, I'm told.

I am putting together information for my cousin to try to take the edge off
of the terrible shock this will give him. I'm of course including cautions
about keeping her indoors, etc., and following up on any symptoms, etc. I
hope to put off telling him until just before he flies back to the US.

I suspect my cousin would prefer treatments that are oral as opposed to IV.
But his wife is trained as a nurse, so perhaps they would be willing to try
difficult-to-administer treatments. I'm not sure how much room their budget
has for expensive, imported treatments like feline interferon omega.

On general principles: in our home, Baby has been kept entirely separate
from our own six cats, who are vaccinated against FeLV except for one little
guy who has FIV whom we avoid over-vaccinating. We have always hand-washed
after handling Baby or her dishes, even prior to this diagnostic info.

I think I've drawn the complete picture, but please ask if I've left out
something important.

FWIW, I have a degree in biology and am a medical writer, so I don't scare
easy, and I understand big words...mostly. (-:

- Lorraine

"Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things
no one can imagine."  - Alan Turing