Ken,

Before I knew something was wrong with Cricket, he
cried when I picked him up as well.  That's when I
started noticing something was wrong.  Make sure that
the vet tells you whether or not Max has a responsive
anemia or non-responsive anemia, because that is what
tells you what is wrong with Max and the course of
treatment.  In Cricket's case, he has a good prognosis
of responsive anemia because his rbc count was at
7.3%, but he had a reticulocyte count of 8% or so,
which means his body is making new rbc's but he is
having an auto-immune response where his body is
killing the new rbc's.  It doesn't sound good, but
when compared to non-responsive anemia, where an
animal isn't making any new rbc's, it is.  We just
have to try to get Cricket's immune system to stop
killing the new rbc's.  That is why you need to have a
good blood count.  Before you make the decision to
transfuse, you need to know about the type of anemia.
Max probably needs to be on some sort of steroid or
cortosteroid (might be the same thing, not sure; I've
heard my vet say both things at different times).
Cricket is on Prednisolone.  I think a lot of kitties
that are anemic are.  Seems to be standard treatment
from what I've read.  Prayer helps too.  And a lot of
love and tender care.  Max will benefit from that a
lot no matter what.

Hope this helps.
:)
Wendy